Changing Child Support: Rest Assured You Never Pay or Receive the Wrong Child Support Amount in Wisconsin

Mother with daughter after changing child support order

Changing Child Support: Rest Assured You Never Pay or Receive the Wrong Child Support Amount in Wisconsin

Changing a Child Support Order

Child support orders are designed to reflect the financial responsibilities of parents, considering their income and the living arrangements of the child. However, life is dynamic, and circumstances can change over time. When changes occur, child support orders may need to be adjusted to ensure that the child’s needs are adequately met. This guide will help you understand the process of changing child support orders in Wisconsin.

Review Changing Child Support Order

Child support orders should reflect the current financial realities of both parents. Every three years, child support agencies send out notices to remind parents of their right to review their child support order. This review is crucial to ensure that the ordered amount is still accurate and appropriate. Parents who receive certain cash benefits will have their orders automatically reviewed every three years.

A review of a child support order may also be initiated under various circumstances, including:

  • A parent receives cash benefits for the children, and the order has not been reviewed for three years.
  • A parent requests a review and the order has not been reviewed for three years.
  • A court orders a review.

During a review, the child support agency or court will consider factors such as changes in income, the child’s living situation, and other relevant information.

Father with daughter after changing child support order

Changing Child Support Order

If a review indicates that a change in the child support order is warranted, the process of adjustment or modification begins. This change can lead to an increase, decrease, or maintenance of the support amount. If a change is proposed, both parents will be informed, and their input will be considered.

A change does not necessarily have to be made if the current order aligns with child support guidelines and includes medical support. However, if the review finds a significant change in circumstances, such as a substantial change in income or a change in the child’s placement, a modification may be necessary.

If both parents agree to change the support amount, the Office of State Courts provides an online form for parents to sign and file with the court for approval. However, it’s important to note that child support agencies cannot change court orders directly; the court must approve any modifications.

Key Information to Remember Changing Child Support Order

  • Only a court can change a child support order.
  • Review notices are sent by mail, so keeping your address up-to-date is crucial.
  • Child support attorneys represent the interests of the state, not individual parents.
  • There are no charges for reviewing or changing a child support order, though court fees may apply.
  • The court considers various factors, including gross income, ability to earn, and available income for support, when determining child support.
  • Child support orders are typically stated in dollar amounts based on the Percentage of Income Standards.
  • Child support obligations continue until the child turns 18 or 19 if they are still in high school or pursuing a GED.
  • Emancipation notices will be sent before the child’s 18th birthday, but past-due support may still be enforceable.

Frequently Asked Questions about Changing Child Support Order

Q: What can I do if the other parent owes me past-due child support, but I don’t want it? Q: I want to continue receiving support, but I don’t want child support services. How can I stop the services? Q: My child dropped out of high school and will turn 18 soon. When can I stop paying child support? Q: My child turns 18 in a few months, but they won’t graduate until later. When will my child support order end? Q: My children now live with their grandparents instead of the other parent. Do I still have to pay support?

For more detailed information about changing child support orders in Wisconsin, consult with experienced child support attorneys like Attorney Latrice Knighton or Attorney Paul Santilli. You can also refer to the official Wisconsin Department of Children and Families calculators here.  If you need legal guidance and assistance throughout this process, feel free to contact the Dahlberg Law Group for personalized support and advice at (262) 667-8999.